That’s a wrap on the CAR 2019 annual scientific meeting (ASM). We’d like to thank all the delegates for participating in yet another successful conference, and a very special thank you to all the speakers that made the CAR 2019 such a success. Here are just a few highlights from the event.
- CAR 2019 was attended by over 500 delegates and welcomed 28 exhibitors (a record)
- This year’s conference was noteworthy because of the inauguration of the new CAR President, Dr. Michael H. Barry.
- Along with a new President, the CAR now has a new board of directors.
- The CAR 2019 Award ceremony, hosted by Dr. Charlotte Yong-Hing (BC), acknowledged and celebrated the best and brightest in Canadian radiology, recognizing recipients of the CAR Gold Medal, the CAR Distinguished Career Award, the CAR Young Investigator Award and awards for every division of the scientific and educational abstract contests.
- This year’s Hot Topics session was on ethical and legal issues in AI for radiologists. Specifically, the session discussed issues surrounding AI R&D, the risk of implicit bias in data collection and data sets, research design, patient engagement and the role of industry. This talk was well attended and fostered a fervent Q&A.
- The workshops were sold-out and well-received by delegates. CAR 2019 featured workshops on CT colonography, led by Dr. Tanya Chawla, and prostate MRI, led by Dr. Silvia Chang. Be sure to keep an eye out for next year’s workshops at CAR 2020, which runs from April 16 – April 19.
- The Radiologists-in-Training Reception welcomed future radiologists to unwind and network with their peers. It was wonderful to celebrate the role of residents within the CAR.
- Improving each year are digital poster presentations, which were engaging and well-attended by CAR 2019 delegates. It was a high-quality turnout full of impressive projects from across Canada.
- Overall, the CAR 2019 ASM was a huge success, with a vibrant meeting and a greater delegate turnout than any year before. Thank you to all who attended and spoke at sessions, as well as Conference Chair, Dr. Michael Patlas, for making CAR 2019 the best annual scientific meeting to date.