The CAR Gold Medal Award is presented to a long-time member of the CAR who has made outstanding contributions to the Association as well as to the profession of radiology in Canada. It is the CAR's highest honour.
2018 - Dr. Lawrence Stein – Montreal, QC
2017 - Dr. Raquel Z. delCarpio-O'Donovan – Montreal, QC
2016 - Dr. Gregory J. Butler – Kentville, NS
2015 - Dr. Jean Raymond – Montreal, QC
2014 - Dr. Martin Reed – Winnipeg, MB
2012 - Dr. Louise Samson – Montreal, QC
2007 - Dr. William F. Mason – Halifax, NS
2006 - Dr. Ian Hammond – Ottawa, ON
2005 - Dr. Jean Chalaoui – Outremont, QC
2004 - Dr. Brian C. Lentle – Saanichton, BC
2003 - Dr. Carl J. Zylak – Grosse Pointe Park, MI
2002 - Dr. Nabil R.L. Bechai – Toronto, ON
2002 - Dr. Allan J. Fox – Toronto, ON
2001 - Dr. Stephanie R. Wilson – Toronto, ON
2000 - Dr. Conway J. Don – Ottawa, ON
1999 - Dr. David B. Fraser – Halifax, NS
1998 - Dr. David G. Gray – Ottawa, ON
1998 - Dr. Ross O. Hill – Westmount, QC
1998 - Dr. Lawrence R. James – Omaha, NE
1997 - Dr. C. Stuart Houston – Saskatoon, SK
1997 - Dr. Jacques Sylvestre – Sherbrooke, QC
1996 - Dr. Harald O. Stolberg – Ancaster, ON
1995 - Dr. Barry B. Hobbs – London, ON
The CAR Gold Medal Award nominee must be a member of the CAR. A nominee for CAR Gold Medal Award must have been a member of good standing in the CAR continuously over the past 10 years.
A nomination may be submitted by any member in good standing of the CAR, including a self-nomination.
The nomination should contain a succinct summary of the major contributions of the nominee and be accompanied by a curriculum vitae.
The nomination must be accompanied by letters of support from two members in good standing of the CAR.
Please submit by email, fax or surface mail the following documentation:
- Name of the nominee
- Name of the nominator
- Title of the nominee
- Contact information of the nominee (address, telephone, fax, email)
- Contact information of the nominator (address, telephone, fax, email)
- CV/Summary of the nominee
- Contribution of the nominee (specify one)
- Basic Research
- Clinical Research
- Other Research
- Cinical Practice
- Two (2) support letters for the nominee from CAR members in good standing
Forward nominations to (Please indicate Object/Subject: CAR Gold Medal Award Nomination):
Fax: 613 860-3112
CAR Gold Medal Award Nomination
600-294 Albert Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 6E6
The award nomination must be presented to the CAR office annually by November 15. If the deadline falls on a weekend or federal holiday, your nomination must reach the CAR by the following working day. The nomination may be made in writing via e-mail, fax or regular surface mail. The nominator is responsible for ensuring that the written nomination, CV, summary, and two support letters are in the CAR office by the deadline. An individual member may nominate or sponsor only one person each year.
A Board Working Group (BWG) on Awards will evaluate the award nominations.
If unsuccessful the first year, the nomination may be reactivated by any member in good standing for consideration for a maximum of two (2) years following the first submission. This can be done by submitting a letter requesting reactivation by November 5 of the subsequent year. This reactivation does not require any new supporting data.
The award will be presented at the CAR Awards ceremony held in conjunction with the Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM) on April 13, 2019.
The CAR Gold Medal Award includes travel costs, hotel accommodations for two nights and two tickets to the CAR Awards ceremony.
- The award shall be known as: CAR Gold Medal Award. This represents the highest award that lies within the power of the CAR to bestow upon a CAR member.
- The CAR Gold Medal Award can be awarded by the CAR to an individual for distinguished and extraordinary service to the CAR and the discipline of radiology.
- Service to radiology can be teaching, basic research, clinical investigation or radiologic statesmanship. Research must be recognized for quality and consistency by publication in recognized professional journals. Service to the CAR can be outstanding contributions to the CAR, other medical organizations, or government agencies.
- The CAR is under no obligation to present the award annually.
- Except under very unusual circumstances, the award will be given to one nominee each year.
- Only in the event of the demise of the nominee after being selected shall the award be presented posthumously.