What is the Fellowship of the CAR (FCAR)?
The Fellowship of the Canadian Association of Radiology (FCAR) is one of the highest honours that the Canadian Association of Radiology (CAR) can bestow upon its members. This award was created by the Board Working Group for FCAR in 2018 out of a need to recognize the lifelong commitment, by and for CAR members, to a standard of excellence in the profession of radiology.
Recognition as a Fellow of the CAR demonstrates a history of service to the CAR as a volunteer in collaboration and leadership, as well as clinical, scientific and professional accomplishments.
This award is also a guide to inspire early to mid-career members towards a pathway to excellence and professional success in radiology. This award is modelled on other Fellowship programs and reflects the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada’s CanMeds framework.
Benefits & Recognition
As an active Fellow, recipients join a very distinct and selective group of radiologists who have distinguished themselves in the field. In recognition of this accomplishment, after the Fellowship honour is granted, the recipient is permitted to place “FCAR” after their name. Including the initials “FCAR” among one’s credentials underscores the individual meeting the high standards designated by our national specialist organization.
Recipients will have the FCAR designation bestowed upon them the during the CAR Awards ceremony at the CAR Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM). They will be presented with a special lapel pin, tie or scarf depicting the FCAR symbol. They will also be recognized on the CAR website.
In accordance with CAR policy, a candidate may not receive the Fellow designation without attending the convocation ceremony. In the event a candidate is unable to attend the convocation ceremony, the fellowship may be deferred until the following year.
The FCAR recipient must be a current member of the CAR in order to keep their FCAR designation.
- You have remained a member of the CAR in good standing for a minimum of 10 consecutive years;
- Submission of the FCAR electronic application form;
- A cover letter demonstrating your history of accomplishments (see Eligibility Criteria below);
- Nomination by another current Fellow of the CAR (list of FCAR awardees is available on the CAR website)to be included in your FCAR electronic application;
- Two letters of support from current CAR members (Residents are not eligible) in good standing (the letter should speak to the nominee’s accomplishments and include the author’s email address); and
- A current CV
Applicants will need to demonstrate, through their personal letter, letters of support and CV, significant contributions to:
- The Canadian Association of Radiology (CAR);
- Improving health care through leadership or participation at the local, regional, national or international level;
- Providing outstanding care, through excellence in practice, to their patients and service to the community in which they practice;
- Being an excellent role model and teacher while inspiring change and continuous improvement in health care;
- Collaborating in activities beyond clinical care; and
- Scientific or clinical research in radiology.
Each completed application form will be reviewed by the FCAR Working Group in the first year, then by a peer review panel appointed by the CAR Board in subsequent years.
A maximum of 20 Fellows of the CAR will be admitted in any one year.
Successful applicants will be notified in January to assist with the planning of their attendance at the CAR Awards Ceremony. This ceremony occurs at the CAR’s Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM) in April.
If your application is not successful, it will remain on file for consideration over the next 3 years. Should you wish to append any portion of your application, please do so during the application timeline and submit the changes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Now closed. Applications will be accepted in 2019.
Please contact email@example.com or 613-860-3111 for assistance.