CAR Board Directors
In April 2024, the Canadian Association of Radiologists (CAR) will need to replace two of their representatives of its Board of Directors. Dr. Daniel Petrie from New Glasgow (NS) and Dr. Pierre Bourgouin from Montreal (QC) have served the membership and the Board with distinction for six years, and we thank them for their dedication and contribution to our success.
The CAR is looking for members from the provinces of Nova Scotia and Quebec.
By offering your name in nomination, you can help the CAR continue to promote the highest standards in patient-centered imaging, lifelong learning and research.
With new initiatives on the horizon, the CAR welcomes the enthusiastic participation of its members on the CAR Board of Directors.
We thank you in advance for taking an active role in this nomination process and look forward to hearing from you – this is an opportunity to make your voice heard.
Deadline for nominations: September 30, 2023
Must be an active CAR member to apply.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is the governing body of the CAR and:
- Applies business judgment in the best interests of the association on behalf of its members
- Has responsibility for governance, control and oversight, as well as participation in the preparation and approval of the strategic plan, annual plan and budget
- May exercise its authority directly or through Standing Committees/Working Groups of the Board
- Provides direction, advice and counsel to senior management
Attributes of a Director
- Demonstrates leadership capabilities
- Thinks strategically
- Thinks innovatively
- Maintains a global perspective on professional issues and CAR matters
- Accepts and adheres to the CAR's Board Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates an energetic ability to accomplish the CAR’s objectives
- Demonstrates executive temperament
- Demonstrates effective communication skills
- Has demonstrated positive performance in current and previous provincial and/or national organizations or other professional/volunteer roles
Further information can be obtained by consulting the following documents:
- CAR Board of Director Job Description
- Duties, Code of Conduct and Responsibilities of the CAR Board of Directors
Time Requirements for a Board Director
- A Board Director serves a two (2) year term (renewable twice, for a total of six years) or until his/her successor is elected
- The Board usually meets five (5) times per year:
- End of January (virtual) (1 day – Half day on Friday and Half day on Saturday)
- Mid/End March (virtual) (1h to approve audited financials for Annual General Meeting)
- Mid/End April (in-person) (1 day with the outgoing Board (during Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM))
- Mid/End April (in-person) (1h with the incoming Board (during Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM))
- October (in-person) (1.5 days – Friday all day and Saturday morning)
- The Board will have an additional in-person meeting in June (two (2) days) of the year the 5-Year Strategic Plan will be produced (next one will be in June 2027).
- The Board may hold additional meetings by teleconference to discuss a specific topic or approve a proposal.
- A Board Director is expected to serve on some Standing Committees/Working Groups.
- The nomination should contain a Statement of Interest and a current Curriculum Vitae
- The Statement of Interest should include the following three headings and describe:
- Your qualifications and experience
- What you would bring to the CAR Board
- Your vision for the CAR
- The nomination must be accompanied by letters of support from two (2) members in good standing of the CAR
- Forward your nomination by email to Corinne Gourlin at [email protected] (Please indicate in the subject line: CAR Board Director Nomination):
If unsuccessful the first year, the nomination may be reactivated by any member in good standing for consideration for a maximum of two (2) years following the first submission. This can be done by submitting a letter requesting reactivation by September 30 of the subsequent year. This reactivation does not require any new supporting data.
|June 1, 2023||Nominations process opens|
|September 30, 2023||Closing day for submitting nominations|
|February 3, 2024||Nominations get approved by the CAR Board of Directors|
|By February 7, 2024||Notifications are sent to all selected and non-selected nominated candidates|
|April 12, 2024||2024-2025 Board of Directors slate is voted by the CAR members at the Annual General Meeting|
- The evaluation criteria used by the Board Nominations Standing Committee to select Board Directors include:
- Have thorough knowledge of the CAR
- Adhere to the CAR’s vision and mission
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Service to the CAR and the radiology community locally and/or nationally
- Particular leadership needs of the CAR at the time candidates are being considered
- Type of career (i.e. teaching/academic; research; administration and finance)
- CAR membership is current and in good standing
2024-2025 Board Nominations Standing Committee:
- Gilles Soulez, Chair (QC)
- Daniel Petrie (NS)
- Alison Harris (BC)
- Hang Yu (MB)