Did you know the CAR has Affiliate Societies that members can join?
Affiliates are integrated with the CAR and provide the opportunity for close collaboration on education, research, and advocacy activities with the radiology community. Working together we deliver the most value for members while maintaining distinct mandates.
Canadian Society of Thoracic Radiology (CSTR)
The idea to establish the CSTR dates as far back as the late 1990s and early 2000s. It started as a small gathering of keen chest imagers at the CAR’s annual scientific meetings. The CSTR officially launched in April 2018 as an affiliate of the CAR and currently has 71 members, an increase from 39 in the Spring of 2019.
“We are very grateful for the CAR’s support as an affiliate society. We continue to forge our way to strengthen connections between those interested in promoting and practicing high-quality cardiothoracic imaging across Canada”.
Dr. Carole Dennie, President, CSTR
- Play a leadership role in the development/update of CAR-driven thoracic imaging guidelines, standards, and appropriateness criteria
- Provide access to online educational content for trainees and practicing radiologists
- Organize educational and social events during the CAR’s annual scientific meeting (ASM)
Highlights in 2020:
- In February 2020, approved the High Resolution CT of the Chest Recommended Technique
- The CAR Journal publication of the Canadian Society of Thoracic Radiology/Canadian Association of Radiologists Consensus Statement Regarding Chest Imaging in Suspected and Confirmed COVID-19 followed by English and French webinars on the topic that are available on RAD Academy.
- Due to the cancellation of the CSTR 2020 inaugural meeting, the CSTR: Focus on Lung Screening meeting will take place in 2021
Membership with the CSTR is open to cardiothoracic and general radiologists, as well as current fellows or residents with an interest in cardiothoracic radiology, who are current members of the CAR. Membership fees are currently complimentary.
Canadian Emergency, Trauma and Acute Care Radiology Society (CETARS)
As the newest CAR Affiliate, CETARS officially joined as a CAR affiliate on July 13, 2020, after the inaugural meeting of their Executive Committee.
“The mission of CETARS is to advance the imaging of acutely, critically ill, or trauma injured patients by the means of routine and advanced medical imaging. The society also believes in advancing teaching, research, and innovation in emergency trauma radiology within Canada and across the world by helping to improve patient outcomes in the acute setting”.
Dr. Savvas Nicolaou, President, CETARS
Plans for 2020–2021:
- Play a leadership role in the development/update of CAR driven emergency and trauma as well as Acute Care Imaging Guidelines, standards, and appropriateness criteria
- Organize an educational session during the CAR’s annual scientific meeting (ASM) as part of their continuing medical education activities
- Create an online presence through social media and a webpage on the CAR website
CETARS is currently seeking new members to join this CAR affiliate society. Membership is open to emergency radiologists, general radiologists, and other subspecialty radiologists as well as current fellows, residents, and medical students with an interest in emergency radiology, who are current members of the CAR. Membership fees are currently complimentary.
Canadian Society of Pediatric Radiology (CanSPR)
The concept to establish a Canadian Society of Pediatric Radiology was introduced in the early 2000s. A group of keen pediatric radiologists, from the Royal College pediatric radiology subspecialty committee, recognized the need to create a uniquely Canadian forum where pediatric radiologists from across the country could come together to network and discuss local issues and challenges. To this end, the Executive Committee of the CanSPR was established in December 2019.
- Drive the appropriate, proper, and safe use of radiological services in the patient-centered care of children
- Define principles of practice in the development of pediatric imaging guidelines, standards, and appropriateness criteria
- Provide access to medical education in the practice of pediatric imaging for trainees and practicing radiologists
- Advocate for appropriate resources (human and material) necessary for the delivery of quality pediatric imaging services to Canadian children wherever they are situated
- Foster research in all aspects of pediatric imaging
Membership with the CanSPR is open to all practicing pediatric radiologists, as well as current fellows or residents with an interest in pediatric imaging, who are current members of the CAR. Membership fees are currently complimentary.
Join a CAR Affiliate Society Today
If you are interested in becoming a member of the CSTR, CETARS or CanSPR please email [email protected].