Since its first publication in 1950, the Canadian Association of Radiologist Journal (CAR Journal) has been dedicated to publishing articles on current, cutting-edge diagnostic and therapeutic radiology as well as guidance on emerging techniques and technologies. The CAR Journal brings the latest information to subscribers four times per year and features a journal-based self-assessment program, Insights4Imaging, designated as continuing professional development (CPD) activities accessed through RAD Academy.
2019 was a big year for the journal with a record number of manuscript submissions and significant improvements in the review and first response turnaround for article submissions.
“Our editorial team is excited to receive a record number of submissions in 2019 and simultaneously cut the turnaround time for the first response to four weeks. We expect the successful rollout of our 2020 Special Issue on Emergency and Trauma Imaging as well as the announcement of the first recipients of the Outstanding Reviewer Award in late 2020. Stay tuned!”
– Dr. Michael N. Patlas, Editor-In-Chief, CAR Journal
Future Directions – The CARJ is transitioning to a new publisher
Here are some of the exciting new developments:
- Nov 2019 – Launch of the new author submission site, SAGE Track, offered through ScholarOne Manuscripts
- Dec 2019 – The new CARJ website launching on the SAGE journal platform
- Jan 2020 – Final articles are being hosted on OnlineFirst prior to their inclusion in the online journal issue
- Special issues dedicated to one subspecialty or technological advances:
- 2020: Emergency Radiology (Guest Editor Dr. Savvas Nicolaou, UBC)
- 2021: AI (Guest Editor Dr. Jaron Chong, McGill)
- 2022: Breast Imaging
We need your help to submit papers and review manuscripts
To continue growing and improving the journal, we seek support from our members across the country to submit research papers and review manuscripts.
Submit your research
- The CAR Journal publishes the following manuscript types: Original research, review articles, editorials, letters to the editor and replies.
- For more information, visit our CAR Journal Author Instructions
“I have found the response time from CARJ has become excellent with any new submissions. The expert reviewer feedback has always been insightful, and it can help provide a unique perspective from the only designated Canadian Radiology journal out there. I look forward to watching the CARJ continue to grow and thrive, and I am always excited for my next submission to the CARJ”.
– Mostafa Alabousi, PGY-3, Diagnostic Radiology, McMaster University
Become a new reviewer
- Timely and comprehensive reviews help to improve the journal’s turnaround time and attract the highest-quality submissions.
- To better support new reviewers, we are beginning a mentorship program and offering training resources through RAD Academy, CAR’s learning management system.
- We are also starting an Outstanding Reviewers Awards Program in 2020 to select the top colleagues who provide the best reviews.
“I consider it a privilege to review submissions for our national radiology journal. Not only is this a critical step in the process of scientific discovery and knowledge translation, but it is also an excellent learning opportunity for me as a reviewer. Keeping one’s critical analysis skills sharp is critical for all radiologists, academic and otherwise”
– Dr. Bruce B. Forster, Deputy Editor, CAR Journal
Moving to Digital Subscriptions
As part of your many CAR membership benefits, you receive a digital journal subscription.
What are the benefits of a digital journal?
- Greater environmental sustainability
- Content is simply formatted and readable from a variety of devices is downloadable to read offline
- Easily cite and share papers of interest
If you prefer a print version in addition to your digital subscription, please contact [email protected].
Please contact Micheline Turnau, CAR’s Acting Manager of Research and Policy Development for any questions about the CAR Journal or are interested in becoming a new reviewer.