Your CAR Board met online on the weekend to discuss priorities in response to the pandemic. The discussion focused on COVID-19 and the impact it is having on the radiology community.
The top takeaways include:
- The CAR has implemented a COVID-19 Task Force to tackle re-entry of medical imaging. Testing and procedures have been scaled back by upwards of 50% across the country, this will result in incredible volumes of referrals post-pandemic. Dr. Bill Anderson, your Alberta Board representative will lead the charge on providing guidance on radiology re-entry post-pandemic. Our objective is to conduct a national analysis and to put forward a plan for action to respond to the backlog of radiology exams. (Full list of Task Force members included below)
- The CAR is investing in radiology education. We will be ramping up our offerings on RAD Academy to broaden our online learning for members. We are keenly aware that radiologists are looking to expand their knowledge and to keep up-to-date with the latest radiology research. We want to be your go-to source for radiology CPD.
- The CAR will be back on the Hill in the fall. In the short-term, we will continue to engage with Health Canada pertaining to guidelines and recommendations during COVID-19. We will renew our focus on our $1.5 billion ask for medical imaging equipment post-COVID-19.
- Members reaffirm the importance of the CAR’s role in the development of national standards/guidelines. Guidelines and national standards continue to be one of the CAR’s most important benefits. In March 2020 we conducted smaller more focused qualitative interviews where the CAR’s leadership in national guidelines was recognized again. We will continue to forge ahead in the development of these resources, which are of great value to the radiology community.
COVID-19 Guidelines as well as financial advice to members on car.ca
We understand that this is a challenging time for all of us and the CAR is here to support you. Working with our partners (CAIR, CSBI and CSTR) we have published COVID-19 guidelines and positions statements. We have also created a designated COVID-19 page on car.ca. Here you can find the latest information on COVID-19 as well as other educational resources. The fully subscribed webinars on the tax and economic measures by MNP as well as financial markets by MD Management are also on the website.
CAR Leadership focused on its members like you
The CAR Board has been engaged since the onset of the pandemic – meeting online at least once a week and in touch daily. Two membership surveys and connecting with key stakeholders from across the country are at the centre of the Board’s focus. The Taskforce led by Dr. Anderson is a key action taken to actively respond to the challenge presented in front of us. These are unprecedented times and we hear our members and appreciate your support. We are stronger together.
COVID-19 Task Force
- Dr. Bill Anderson, AB, Chair
- Dr. Emil Lee, BC
- Dr. Sheldon Wiebe, SK
- Dr. Dan Lyndsay, MB
- Dr. Heidi Schmidt, ON
- Dr. Ania Kielar, ON
- Dr. Gilles Soulez, QC
- Dr. Pierre Bourgouin, QC
- Dr. Dan Petrie, NS
- Dr. John Allen, NB
- Dr. Scott Harris, NL
- Dr. Jean Seely – CSBI (Breast)
- Dr. Carole Dennie –CSTR (Thoracic)
- Dr. Lucia Capinetta – CANSPR (Pediatric)
- Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists
- Canadian Organization of Medical Physicists
- Canadian Association of Nuclear Medicine
- Canadian Association for Interventional Radiology
- Sonography Canada