The Canadian Way (A HEAL Project)
The CAR has joined its partners in the Health Action Lobby (HEAL) to call for the federal government to play a leadership role in health care and promote a return to the “Canadian way” of addressing national health issues through compassion, consensus, and collaboration.
Released in December 2014, HEAL’s consensus statement Accelerating Innovation and Improving Health System Performance asks all federal parties to articulate their positions on health care for Canadians in advance of the upcoming federal election.
The statement identifies several ways in which the federal government can fulfill its leadership role in securing a strong and equitable health care system and focuses on the following six issues:
- Improved collaboration between the federal government and the provinces and territories.
- A vision statement for the federal government in health and health care.
- A performance framework to guide improvements and innovation in health systems and health care delivery.
- Options for a financially stable health system.
- The need for strategic, federal investments related to Canada’s aging population, access to prescription drugs, and the spread of on-the-ground health innovations.
- The development of a common set of national health system performance indicators.
For the complete consensus statement, click here.
HEAL is a national coalition comprised of 41 organizations representing over 650,000 providers and consumers of health care. Visit HEAL’s website for more information on the organization’s activities.